The various rudiments of Gedonelune magic are taught to the player throughout the game, through Liz' lessons. From time to time, you will be asked questions based on magical principals and incantations - as well as other random facts. For the Spells list check the Magic Spells Compendium.
Incantation Magic Edit
Generally, magical spells are cast by channeling one's magical power through a wand while reciting an incantation. The words are loosely based off of Latin. The wizard must maintain focus through the spell to channel the magic correctly; otherwise the spell may fail, either not triggering at all or potentially turning into a different spell altogether. Too much magical power will result in a spell that is too powerful and out of control.
Elemental Magic Edit
Fire, wind, water and earth can be summon into various forms - a ball, a shield, chains, arrows, etc - or also to accomplish various other tasks.
Light Magic Edit
Light Magic is associated with healing and protection.
Dark Magic Edit
Dark Magic is the opposite of Light Magic, associated with death and curses. Practice of dark magic is prohibited at the Academy and in Gedonelune.
Practical Magic Edit
Practical magic spells are used to accomplish various everyday tasks - such as conjuring items, duplicating items, or conjuring an image in some kind of medium.
Spatial Magic Edit
Spatial magic involves the use of magical diagrams in order to organize and direct flows of magical power. Barrier spells are one of the most common practical applications of spatial magic.
Summoning Magic Edit
Summoning magic is a form of magic that uses a magic circle in order to summon a magical creature. Two requirements are needed for a successful summoning: for the power of the wizard to be equal to or greater than that of the creature they are summoning; and for a perfectly drawn magic circle. Summoned creatures are different than familiars, as the summoned creatures only work for the wizard during the summoning time.
Recovery Magic Edit
Recovery magic enables one to heal or recover their well-being. These spells commonly consist of wind, water, wood, and light elements.
Other Forms of Magic Edit
- Contract magic - Magic can be used to form a contract between two beings, often involving an exchange of some sort. It is unclear how contracts are broken.
- Time magic - The magic to control time with spells, including time travel. A generally higher level magic, potential practitioners first manifest this ability through prophetic dreaming.
- Primitive magic - Blasts of pure magic that are channeled through words or extreme emotion, sometimes activated in times of distress. According to Professor Schuyler, every wizard can activate some weak form of primitive magic, but it is stronger with some more than others.
- Spellsinging - Spellsinging is a rare talent that very few wizards possess, as it requires not only magical but also musical talent. Spellsingers have the ability to channel magical flows through song, and thus can cast without a wand. According to Luca, spellsingers only appear once every few decades. In the Princess of Crystal trilogy, it is revealed that the first spellsinger was a fairy who shared the magical ability to humans.
- Magical Items - Items that have natural magical properties. These items do not derive their magical properties from wizards, but from other magical creatures that live throughout the world, or even potential magical properties that the item has that can be harnessed by wizards. These items can come from plants, gems, or parts of a magical creature (such as a unicorn's horn or a medicine from mermaids). Many of these items have healing properties, though there are many other properties that they may have.
- Magical Tools - Items that are infused with magic from a wizard. Magical tools generally have one task they can do, such as showing a person's true self and/or feelings, altering one's appearance in order to look like another person, or even turning oneself transparent. However, the power of the tool can never exceed the power of the wizard that created it. Magical tools do not necessarily require an incantation, but may need a compensation in order to be safe to use.
- Potions - Potions can be used in a variety of ways, such as reversing the effects of a spell or curing illnesses. Certain potions, like those filed under the "magical potion pharmaceutics" category, can be used by people that do not have magical abilities.
- "Soul-giving" magic - Magic that can be used to give inanimate objects emotions, or a "soul". Objects with souls given to them cannot feel pain, but can move around on their own and can possibly speak. "Soul-giving" magic is very advanced magic, and is often difficult to cast. The MC in the game is shown to have a strange knack for this magic, often causing things to come to life with her spells, though it is not understood how she does so.
- Magical Cooking - By seasoning dishes with magical spices, magical effects can be added to the dish. While magical cooking is mostly used for people to be in good health, it can be used for more fun purposes as well, such as making a person float or changing someone's voice into a completely different one.
Some spells need a sacrifice in order to work well on living beings. However, this limit does not extend to inorganic items, with or without a soul. For example, complicated, higher-level magic may need a sacrifice from the target to work as an insurance, such as their voice or another sense. Once the spell is broken, the user will normally regain they gave up.
Sacrifices can reduce the damage done by a spell or lighten the burden on the target. The sacrifice must come from the target's body. Typically used sacrifices include:
- The target's voice